Monday, February 27, 2012

Notes

Do you have your notes, then?

I have been singing as long as I can remember.  My Grandma used to sing with me all the time when I was little: while we did the dishes, in the car on trips, sitting around the kitchen table and especially while cleaning the house.  Anytime my Aunt Cindy was around she was roped into it too.  We sang endless rounds of My Eyes are Dim and My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean.

So, when someone mentioned the opportunity to join a women's choir here in London I thought -- why not?  I'm so glad I decided to go for it!  It is so much fun and very rewarding.  It's very different than any other choir I've ever been in.  First, we don't use written music -- everything is done by ear.  And, second, it is all pop music from Dusty Springfield (You Don't Own Me) to Lady Gaga (Poker Face).  The whole thing was just started up by a group of women who wanted to do it.  Two women share the arrangement/musical responsibilities and they are without a doubt two of the most talented musicians I have ever run across -- and I know a lot of talented musicians!  It might be pop music but some of the tougher stuff is incredibly complex musically and a real joy to learn.

Like all leisure activities in England, the rehearsals are generally followed by a session at the pub.  Here we get to learn a little bit more about each other.  We also talk about pressing choir issues like will people think that we are doing a cover of Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics) because we all secretly want to be Annie Lennox or will they think we are copying the guy on that reality TV show?  Or, did anyone realize that Poker Face could be adapted to the basic Psalm chord structure used in church?

It was at one of these sessions where I was asked "Do you have your notes, then?" which I greeted with a totally blank stare and a rather eloquent "Huh?"  After a bit of good natured back and forth, I learnt that this is how one asks if you can read music.  So, I guess I do have my notes.  And very lucky to have them too.

I'll let you know when the first concert is.

No comments:

Post a Comment