Friday, September 2, 2011

Arrival

So here I am. Sitting in the kitchen of the Canada Life, Great-West owns Canada Life & London Life, flat in Potters Bar (PB for short henceforth). PB is part of what I would call the greater London area. If you look at a map, London looks to have a ring road around it called the M25 - PB is at about 12 o'clock noon. London proper is really just a small portion right in the middle of circle made by the M25. The rest is what were once villages outside of London which have been consumed by urban sprawl. PB is one of these. There is nothing exciting or notable about PB. It is in the county of Hertfordshire (pronounced her-fert-shear) which makes me think of Grandpa's cattle. No sightings of any cattle thus far but I will be on the lookout.

I start the new job on Monday but spent a bit of time today having coffee with my boss. I'm really looking forward to finally getting going next week. Seems like we have been planning forever and now I finally get to get going.

My only outing today, due to jet lag, was to Tesco for some groceries. I had forgotten how exhausting shopping is when you have no brand recognition. Every item is a decision. Some enterprising marketing student should be following me around studying how consumers with no brand recognition choose products! I would say pretty packaging is very effective. Except for the Tesco brand wine. It did have a nice label but I just could't bring myself to buy grocery store chain wine.

For now,until I find a flat in the city, PB will be my home and work location. It's okay for a first step but I definitely need to gear up the flat hunt on Monday right after I figure out how to get a coffee card. Yes, there is coffee...but only foreigners drink it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shauna,

    Glad to hear you made it OK and your adventure has begun! Looking forward to the blog postings. Good luck in the new job. I know you'll ace it!

    Love always,
    Auntie Sandra

    ReplyDelete