Sunday, September 18, 2011

Two can dine for £10...

Would you believe that includes a bottle of wine and dessert? I'm pretty sure that nobody here can actually cook. I suspected it based on the square footage (or lack thereof) devoted to the kitchen but the more time I spend in grocery stores my suspicions are confirmed. You can get anything in a prepared meal. Marks & Spencer are the best at it but everyone else is in on it too.

Other shopping mysteries include long-lasting milk (too afraid to try this stuff), powdered eggs (why?), and a large assortment of tinned meats (who knew Spam was high-end?). I am assuming some of this stuff is a hang-over from rationing? Thanks to the BBC, I learnt this week that WWII rationing lasted until something like 1954 in England. Isn't that shocking? When WWII broke out, Britain imported 70% of their food supply. Hitler targeted food shipments to try and starve the British into surrender. Too bad they never mentioned these rather interesting facts in history class, huh? I guess the dates of battles are just SO much more important to know.

The rest of the week was rather uneventful. I am systematically running my way down every street in PB. Yesterday, I visited the National Portrait Gallery which was quite enjoyable. There are some really fantastic prices there (and some not so much). The annual competition exhibition is on right now and I have to say that there were several stunning canvases. A couple of them I honestly thought were photographs when I walked in and not oil portraits (which they are).

Short week coming up as I am back in Canada on Friday for a week. It will definitely be very strange to stay at the Fairmont! I honestly don't think I have ever been in one of the guest rooms in my life (note to my smart ass friends: my Grandma reads this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment