Saturday, October 22, 2011

Angel

Very exciting milestone this week! Just picked up my keys to my flat in London.  It isn't very big (about 500 sq feet) but I love it.  All very modern and posh which is just how I like it.  Angel Underground station is a 5 minute walk away which means I can be to Kings Cross in about 8 minutes...from there I can catch a train or tube to just about anywhere in Europe!!  How cool is that?

The neighbourhood is called Islington and I live just opposite Islington Green...a very nice little park with lots of benches to watch the world go by from.  There is an excellent Patisserie on the corner which has the loveliest pastries & lattes.  Today I saw two people order their "usual" and I can't wait until I can do the same.  I guess I will need to settle on a "usual" first.

Another exciting thing -- my shipment from Canada cleared customs this week and I get my stuff on Monday.  It will be like Christmas.  I am a little worried about where I am going to fit stuff? But I guess that will sort itself out.  The cupboards are pretty big...well not really...but I guess they will have to do.

Mom arrives on Friday for her first official visit.  Can't wait to show her Buckingham Palace and Big Ben!  It really is something.  When I'm walking around sometimes I look up and realize that St Paul's Dome is right in front of me -- such a good landmark even after all these years.  The other day I was watching The Tudors and I realized that I had been in the same square the day before that they characters where standing in several hundred years ago (it looks much cleaner now)!

Here are some pictures of my new flat and the view from my terrace (Terrace: fancy British word for balcony).  Look closely at the kitchen picture.  That is the entire kitchen you are seeing and within it are: a fridge, a freezer, a washer/dryer, an oven (with warming tray), a cook top, a cooking vent/fan, a dishwasher and a sink. Also note the bowl with fake plastic fruit in it as you won't be seeing it in future photos -- my Grandma Nest had a bowl like this in her kitchen in the 80's and I didn't like it then either!



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finally getting into your new flat, Shauna! It looks very sleek. The view looks great and I bet it's quite stunning at night.
    Have fun un-packing your stuff. It should feel more homey with some of your own things around. Although, I didn't think the plastic fruit-like things looked THAT bad....(kidding)

    Love the blog,
    Auntie Sandra

    ReplyDelete